Information for teachers and educators
Create Sheffield is here to connect young people aged 0-24 to connect up with arts, culture and heritage opportunities in Sheffield. As teachers and educators, we hope Create Sheffield can offer you a useful resource to help the children and young people in your care.
Ofsted’s new inspection framework has seen a new focus in favour of assessing whether schools are offering a “broad, rich and deep” curriculum. Create Sheffield and IVE are working to support schools to develop and evidence their arts and creative provision as part of a broad and balanced curriculum.
Create Sheffield is building partnerships with all arts and cultural organisations across the city and wants to connect with all schools, colleges and universities. We want to create meaningful opportunities for schools and teachers to engage with arts and culture organisations, so that both sectors can communicate about their needs, hopes and plans.
Why does it matter?
“Involvement with arts and culture is crucial to imagination, self-expression and creativity in young people. It also develops the skills that fuel the success of the UK’s creative industries, and that will result in the next generation of creative talent across the country “. Arts Council England
You can read more about why cultural education matters, how we are going to solve the problems and more here.
Create Sheffield’s offer to teachers and educators
- Develop and evidence a broad and balanced curriculum through Artsmark in partnership with IVE.
- We have a group of 30 infant, junior and primary schools, secondary schools, and special schools who have begun their Artsmark journey together, and who are meeting six times a year to learn and support each other. We will be sharing their progress in our newsletters and on this website.
- Formal recognition for pupils of their creative skills and talents through Arts Awards
- Professional development opportunities co-designed with and for teachers and school leaders.
- We are meeting with every school in Sheffield this year to gather data about your engagement with arts and culture, and to hear about how best we can support you.
- Connection to Sheffield’s Arts and Cultural sector through Creative Teach-meets and Subject Network meetings.
Other ways to engage with Create Sheffield
Our Adventures help people explore, make and create in Sheffield. Browse them all to find inspiration, or filter them by age or using our tags. During Covid-19 lockdown, we added lots of fantastic #homeadventures filled with creative ideas useful for your home environment too.
Our Partners are doing amazing work with young people across Sheffield. Take a look at their profiles to view their events, stories and read about what they offer. Our Partners do work ranging from theatre and dance, computer science and coding, to circus and visual arts. Filter them using our tags feature to help find what you want.
This list is just the beginning. We want to grow these ideas for all ages & abilities, and include all types of art forms and cultural activity, and grow this as a resource.
Do you have ideas to add to our #homeadventures collection, questions to ask or something else you want to tell us about? Send your thoughts and ideas here.