Make you own spinning poi
How to make spinning poi and how to spin them
1. Out 1/2 cup of rice/ lentils in to each short sock or small palstic bag making like a ball
2. Place each filled sock/bag in to each of the longer socks stuff it down all the way to the toe end.
3. Tie a knot in the long sock above the stuffing - this stops the stuffing moving in the long sock.
4. Tie another knot near the top of the long sock, to act as a handle/ grip.
How to spin poi..
1. FIND A SPACE ( PREFERABLY OUTSIDE) AWAY FROM ANYTHING YOU CAN KNOCK OVER OR BREAK, AWAY FROM PETS AND SIBLINGS. AS YOU SPIN THE POI THEY MAY STRETCH AND GET LONGER SO YOU WILL NEED MORE SPACE THAN YOU THINK TO START WITH, UNTILL YOU GET USED TO USING THEM.
2. Once you have found a space, hold the poi just below the top knot. hold tight.
3. Looking forward, swing the poi in forward circles down the sides of your body- the action is similar to as if you were using a skipping rope. forward circles slowly and keep the poi in time whith each other.
keep a steady pace.
DONT GO TOO FAST... THE POI CAN SOMETIMES HIT YOU IN THE TUMMY OR BACK OF YOUR HEAD.
Try spinning your poi out of time, so when 1 poi is at the top of its circle the other is at the bottom of its circle.
Try back wards circles?
Try high , low , slow , fast circles ?
Try spining one above your head? Infront of you, behind you ?
Try spinning in time and crossing your arms and uncrossing your arms?
Slowly spin and explore moving and changing direction with your poi.